PHP 8 is scheduled to be released on November 26, 2020. PHP 8 is currently in beta.PHP 8 is a major version and has breaking changes from previous versions.New features and notable changes include.
It’s a new major version release of PHP, which means that it will introduce some breaking changes, as well as lots of new features and performance improvements.
The main features –
The PHP 8’s will use a JIT compiler, that can provide substantial performance improvements for some use cases.
The php 8 introduced match statement, that functionality will be like switch statement.
Type changes and additions
PHP 8 introduced union types like – static return type, and a new mixed type.
There are some other features –
- Arrays starting with a negative index
- TypeError on invalid arithmetic/bitwise operators
- Reclassification of various engine errors
- Consistent type errors for internal functions
- Fatal error for incompatible method signatures
- Locale independent float to string conversion
- Variable Syntax Tweaks
- Named Arguments
- Nullsafe operator
- non-capturing catches
- throw expression
You can get more information from Official Docs.