This tutorial help to configure and install Codeigniter 4, This is latest version of codeigniter and supported by php 7.2+.The CodeIgniter 3.1.11 is the stable version of the framework which supported by PHP 5.6+.
CodeIgniter 4 is the upcoming version of the framework, intended for use with PHP7.2. Development is underway, and the current version is v4.0.0-rc.3. You can get more information from here.
CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for developers who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.
The Pre-requisite For Codeigniter 4
- System must have php 7.2+.
- The composer must have installed into the system.
- The php internationalize package(php_intl.dll) must be enabled.
I am using xampp to install and configure codeigniter, You can check php version using below command –
PHP 7.3.8 (cli) (built: Jul 30 2019 12:44:06) ( ZTS MSVC15 (Visual C++ 2017) x64 )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.8, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
Install CodeIgniter in Xampp
I am using composer to install package. Open the window command window and run below command –
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter codeigniter-blog -s rc
codeigniter-blog is a your codeigniter project name.
I am creating skeleton app of codeigniter 4, The CodeIgniter 4 app starter repository holds a skeleton application, with a composer dependency on the latest released version of the framework.
Now, We will update dependency using below command. Whenever there is a new release, then from the command line in your project root:
Create Virtual Host in XAMPP
Let’s create virtual host for this codeigniter projects, open the the Apache
httpd-vhosts.conf file which are located in
D:\xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf, Added below lines of code at the end of the file.
Now, Open the hosts file which are located at
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts, Added below code into this file at the end.
restart the xampp server.
Let’s open the browser and navigate
http://codeigniter-blog.com, if you are getting welcome page, that means everything fine otherwise you ll get
intl package is not enabled.
You can enable php intl package by following steps:
php_intl.dll file exist in php/ext folder
- Open php config file (php.ini, ) usually in the same folder as the php executable.
- Search the
"extension=php_intl.dll"line into the
php.inifile, if it is existing and commented, un-comment it.
- Restart the web server (usually Apache).
- Check if the extension is enabled using phpinfo().
php_intl.dll doest not exist in php/ext folder
- Check your php version by running the
- Download the PHP version that corresponds to yours from the PHP Downloads Page (TS/NTS, x86/x64).
- Search for the php_intl.dll file in the ext folder in that version and copy it in your
- Search the
php.inifile and open it.
- Restart the web server (usually apache)
- Check if the extension is enabled using phpinfo()
Open your favorite browser and navigate
http://codeigniter-blog.com. Hopefully, You will get codeigniter welcome message.